Sunday, December 6, 2009

What Can I Say...

... much to the annoyance of my roommate and mostly everyone I have ever encountered in my life, I have a strange love for R. Kelly.  In looking through this blog, you can see that typically I listen to indie rock/pop or experimental folk, so it is kind of odd to have an appetite for R. Kelly, too.

I like him partly as a joke and partly for legitimate reasons.  I think his over the top songs like "Trapped in the Closet" are impossible to not laugh at.  But as a often discuss with Dave, his beats and vocal talents are actually impressive from time to time.  And you can't but be impressed by the fact that he wrote all twenty-two parts of "Trapped" even though he can't read or write.

Last week, his new album Untitled was released. 

And I haven't stopped listening to it since then. 

It's okay.  Some of the songs are typical Kelly R&B joints that swoon with sensual lyrics and music.  For the other half of the album Kells does his best to sound like T-Pain with hip hop beats and auto-tune.  In the end, half from each of the two groups is crap while the other half is good, leading to one mediocre album.

But at least it's better than his last album, Double Up, which was a pile of hot crap.


Anyways, below are my two favorite songs from Untitled.  The second one is probably the most perfect R. Kelly song since "Trapped."




No comments:

Post a Comment